Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Treasury Madness--The Why's and What-fors


Today I was lucky enough to score a new Treasury. I decided to do a Swirly type of theme--fun, whimsical, and lots to choose from!

I'm a Treasury addict. I admit it.

I love going in and discovering other artists...seeing how people put together their choices and how they go with the titles they chose.

If you don't know what a Treasury is, it's a special feature on Etsy where members (both buyers and sellers) have the opportunity to create a gallery of works done by Etsy artisans.

It gives the curator a chance to show off their favorites and give sellers some extra promotion time. (And what's better than free promotions?)


Getting a Treasury is pretty much a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Treasuries last between 2-3 days and when they expire (in real time) and get below their minimum numbers, a form will come up at the bottom of the page inviting you to create your own page. (There are much better instructions on Etsy itself--main page>treasury>scroll to bottom.)


Many times, depending on the chosen theme, I try to include items that use my Treasury title in their item title. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's how I like to start off.


One of my last Treasuries had the theme of colors in the Crayola Crayon 64 box. I used items that had the actual color names from Crayola and used this list as a guide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crayola_crayon_colors


The result was this Treasury:



Another big thing I like to do, once I come up with a theme is....while doing my search for an item, I don't like to take pieces from the first few pages unless there are only a few pages.

Or to be clearer...for my new Treasury (first pic) I chose a 'Swirly' theme. When I put the term 'swirl' in the Etsy search, there were 1113 pages that came up. So, I go right to the last page. Why? Because I search by date listed and those at the end have been listed for a much longer time than those on the first or second pages and I like to give those sellers a chance to be seen.


Let's face it, I know when I'm looking for something, I'm not going to go through all 1113 pages!

But those items deserve to be looked at as much as those most recently listed so why not add them to a Treasury?


Now that you have my insight, go in and take a look around! Just go to Etsy.com look at the left-hand side menu and look for the word "Treasury". The rest is up to you!!!


(You can always start with my current one as a jumping-off point: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=72179 just remember, it expires in three days!)


Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful swirly treasury! Well done :) I also love the crayon theme which I happened to use in my blog giveaway that starts today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the crayon theme!! What a cute and unique theme. Of course, I just love crayons!

    ReplyDelete